Report from Robin:
I would like to offer my congratulations to JD bantams Chase, Janessa, Emma, Madelaine, Eric, Charlie,Ben, Patrick, and Sean, who qualified for the Hershey Provincial Championships, which will take place in Edmonton on Saturday, 20th June. Each of these athletes qualified for the Provincial Championships by placing in the top four in at least one of their events at the Calgary Hershey Meet. Some of the highlights of the meet include:
· Chase won the 13/14-year-old-girls’ 800m and 1600m and was 4th in the standing long jump, allowing her to compete in all three of her events at the Provincial Championships.
· Janessa qualified in two of her three events by placing 2nd in the 200m and 3rd in the 800m.Janessa was also 5th in the standing long jump.
· In the 200m, Sofia took an impressive 4.53s off her PB, finishing in 32.1s to place 5th.
· Emma qualified for the Provincial Championships by winning the 800m and placing 2nd in the 100m. Emma was also 6th of 25 athletes in the ball throw.
· Madelaine qualified to attend the Provincial Championships in the ball throw, where she placed 3rd of 25 athletes with a throw of 29.39m. Madelaine was also 5th in the 800m.
· Eric qualified for the Provincial Championships by placing 3rd in the 1600m. Eric just missed qualifying in the ball throw, where he added another 2.51m to his PB in the event.
· The Meister family was well represented at the Calgary Hershey meet, with all three boys qualifying to compete at the Provincial Championships. Charlie qualified in both the 200m, where he finished 4th and ball throw, where he was 3rd. Ben qualified in the standing long jump, where he placed 1st of 24 athletes with a jump of 2.00m. Ben also added another 1.47m to his PB in the ball throw and took 2.11s off his PB in the 200m. Patrick qualified for the Provincial Championships in the 400m, where he finished 3rd in 1:14.30s. Patrick was also 6th of 24 athletes in the standing long jump and 11th of 25 athletes in the ball throw.
· Sean Thuna qualified for the Championships in the 800m, where he finished 4th in a time of 3:11.00s. Sean was also 8th of 24 athletes in the standing long jump.
Well done bantams! Please note that if you plan to attend the Provincial Championships, you must confirm your participation no later than this Friday, 12th June by faxing your registration form to Athletics Alberta. The registration form is available on the Athletics Alberta website. Go to: www.athleticsalberta.com. Click on “programs” near the top of the page under the flag. Then click on “Hershey’s Track and Field Program” under the photograph. Scroll down the page past “program overview”, “Why get involved” and “Event organizers” to “participant info”. Scroll down to step 5 where you will find the registration form. Meet details and information regarding where to fax the registration form are given right on the form. Note that CALTAF will not be going to the Hershey Provincial Championships as a team. Athletes will have to travel to and from the meet with their family if they wish to participate.