Congratulations to all of the JD athletes – Alex, Allison, Stephen, Amy, Anna, Austin, Ben, Charlie,Chase, Connor, Daniel, Delainy, Emma, Eric, Jackson, Jasmine, Lockie,Madelaine, Max, Nicole,Patrick, Rebecca, Sarah, Shaylene, Steven Bigsby, Thomas Kellner, Thomas Wood and Victoria – who participated in the Calgary Spring Challenge and Combined Events Meet this past weekend. Once again, there were some outstanding results.
I would like to congratulate the following ten CALTAF midgets (1994, 1995) and juveniles (1992, 1993), whose combined scores for their individual events over the two days of the meet totaled 212pts – enough to place them 1st of eight teams and ensure that CALTAF defended its title as Midget/Juvenile Spring Challenge Champions: Austin (40 points), Daniel (28 points),Steven Bigsby (26 points), ThomasKellner (19 pts), Rebecca (19 points), Sam from Power and Speed (18 pts), Nicky from Power and Speed (18 pts), Allison Stephen (18 pts), Reedfrom Power and Speed (13 pts) and Sarah Hughes (13 pts). This is the third year in a row that the CALTAF midget/juvenile team has won the Spring Challenge. Congratulations athletes! I will present you with your gold medals as soon as the meet director gives them to me. Other JD midgets who accumulated impressive point totals over the two days include: Nicole (11 pts), Thomas Wood (9 pts), Shaylene (8 pts), Amy (8 pts), Charlie (8 pts) and Victoria (5.5pts). Well done CALTAF midgets and juveniles!
I would also like to congratulate the following ten CALTAF peewees (1998 and later) and bantams (1996, 1997), whose combined scores over the two days totaled 218 points, placing them 2nd of five teams: Chase(49 pts), Alex (36 pts), Ben (33 pts), Anise from the Cheetahs (30 pts), Emma (21 pts), Max (20 pts),Jackson (10 pts), Madelaine (9 pts), Lockie (6 pts) andPatrick (4pts). CALTAF finished 2nd to a very strong team from the Calgary Spartans. Eric and Connor each accumulated 4 points. Well done CALTAF peewees and bantams!
There were many things that occurred at the meet this past weekend that impressed me (in no particular order!):
Some of our newest and youngest athletes entered what most athletes consider to be the more intimidating events: Anna in the 800m, Emma in the 800m and 1500m, Madelaine in the high jump and 80m hurdles, Jackson in the 80m hurdles, Alex in the high jump and 80m hurdles,Lockie in the high jump and 80m hurdles, Max in the 800m, 1200m and high jump,Patrick in the 800m and Ben in the 600m. Well done bantams and peewees!
· Several veteran athletes achieved a personal best (PB) performance in one or more events:Daniel (PB in the 100m, 3.59s PB in the 200m, 60cm PB in the shot put, 1.74 m PB in the javelin and 2.44m PB in the discus), Thomas Wood (1.17m PB in the shot put, 2.02m PB in the javelin throw and 4.06s PB in the 1000m), Austin (more than a half second PB in the 100m, 2.29 PB in the 200m, 15cm PB in the high jump, 62 cm PB in the discus throw and 57cm PB in the javelin), Nicole (19cm PB in the shot put), Allison Stephen (5cm PB in the high jump and a PB in the 200m), Jasmine (more than a half second PB in the 200m, 1.42s PB in the 400m and PB in the 800m), Rebecca (5cm PB in the high jump, 4cm PB in the shot put, 35cm PB in the javelin) and Chase (PB in the 80m hurdles, 37cm in the long jump, 11cm PB in the shot put).
· Some of our newest athletes managed to achieve a personal best (PB) even though they have not been training for very long and not had much time to improve and become stronger: Charlie (PB in the 200m), Jackson (55cm PB in the long jump), Alex (19cm PB in the long jump), Lockie(24cm PB in the long jump), Max (2.26s PB in the 800m and 34cm PB in the long jump) andShaylene (14cm PB in the long jump).
· I was pleased to see JD athletes warming up together on the infield without supervision or prompting. Cool downs – not so much!!
· It was some of our newest athletes who accumulated the most points and contributed to either the midget/juvenile team victory or the strong second place finish by the peewee/bantam team: midgets Steven Bigsby in his first meet and Sarah in only her second meet, and bantams Alex,Emma, Max, Jackson, Madelaine, Lockie andPatrick, and peewee Ben, who are all very new to the JD Group, having just joined us for the outdoor season.
· Chase and Austin accumulated two of the highest point totals (49 and 40 respectively) of all athletes entered in the meet.
· I saw many acts of good sportsmanship – hand shakes at the finish line and friendly words of encouragement at the start line and field event venues. I also saw many JD athletes cheering on their JD teammates and the older CALTAF athletes.
· There were many athletes who finished in the top three in their events: Daniel (2nd in the shot put @ 10.02m, 2nd in the javelin @ 25.97m and 3rd in the discus @ 26.59m), Steven Bigsby (1st in the long jump @ 4.58m and 3rd in the high jump @ 1.35m), Thomas Kellner (2nd in the long jump @ 4.47m), Austin (1st in the 100m hurdles @ 21.78s, 2nd in the high jump @ 1.40m, 3rd in the shot put @ 8.62m and 3rd in the javelin @ 25.94m), Alex (2nd in the 80m hurdles @ 14.53s, 2nd in the ball throw @ 42.20m, 3rd in the high jump @ 1.35m and 3rd in the shot put @ 6.97m),Max (1st in the 1200m @ 4:35.19s), Ben, our youngest athlete, (2nd in the ball throw @ 27.53m, 2nd in the long jump @ 3.57m, 3rd in the 60m @ 10.38s and 3rd in the 150m @ 26.80s.),Shaylene (3rd in the high jump @ 1.40m), Allison Stephen (3rd in the 200m @ 27.43s),Rebecca (2nd in the shot put @ 8.53m and 3rd in the javelin @ 21.43m), Chase (1st in the 800m @ 2:41.79s, 2nd in the long jump @ 4.11m, 2nd in the 200m hurdles @ 32.07s and 3rd in the 80m hurdles @ 15.81s) and Madelaine (3rd in the ball throw @ 29.39m).
· Other impressive results include: Daniel 5th of 10 athletes in the 100m, Steven Bigsby 5th of 10 athletes in the 200m, Connor 5th of 10 athletes in the 150m, Alex 5th of 12 athletes in the 80m and 5th of 9 athletes in the long jump, Amy 5th of 8 athletes in the high jump, Nicole 5th of 8 athletes in the 400m, Sarah 4th of 13 athletes in the 100m and 5th of 12 athletes in the 200m,Allison Stephen 4th of 13 athletes in the 100m and 4th of 9 athletes in the high jump, Jasmine4th of 8 athletes in the 800m, Victoria 4th of 8 athletes in the 400m, Chase 4th of 16 athletes in the 150m, 6th of 14 athletes in the high jump, and 5th of 14 athletes in the shot put, Emma 4th of 15 athletes in the 80m, 4th of 11 athletes in the ball throw and 6th of 14 athletes in the shot put, and Madelaine 7th of 14 athletes in the shot put.
· Daniel stepped up and coached the bantam girls in the shot put when I was in need of assistance. Thank you Daniel!
· Steven Bigsby, one of our newest athletes, won the midget men’s long jump competition, despite never having competed in the event before and having just run the 400m.Thomas Woodwas the only JD midget athlete to enter a combined event, taking on the challenging midget pentathlon. Despite being only a first-year midget and having to compete up against older athletes, Allison placed 3rd in the 200m with a personal best time of 27.43s. In her first attempt at the high jump, Shaylene placed 3rd, clearing 1.40m. Daniel achieved a personal best performance in all five of his events. Despite being only a first- year midget, Austin accumulated a 1st place finish, a 2nd place finish and two 3rd place finishes. Despite being only a first-year bantam, Alex was 2nd in the 80m hurdles and ball throw and 3rd in both the high jump and shot put. Rebecca, another first-year midget, was 2nd in the shot put and 3rd in the javelin throw. In her first attempt at the 400m, first-year midget Victoria placed 4th. First-year bantam Emma was 4th in both the 80m and ball throw, while Madelaine, another first-year bantam, was 3rd in the ball throw.
· Three JD athletes competed in a hugely demanding number of events (Chase = 8, Austin = 8,Emma = 7) and yet all did not let quantity affect the quality of their performances. All three athletes competed extremely well.
Well done all athletes! Another excellent meet! I am looking forward to watching you compete in New Balance Meet #2 on Sunday