Congratulations to all of the JD athletes – Bryce, Daniel, John, Matt Shaw, Steven, Thomas Kellner, Thomas Wood, Austin, Charlie, Matthew Springer, Tynan, Eric, Jackson, Alex Charlesworth, Max, Patrick, Sean Thuna, Ben, Amy, Chanelle, Nicole, Sarah Hughes,Shaylene, Allson Stephen, Jasmine, Melanie, Melissa, Rebecca, Sofia, Antha, Rachelle,Chase, Janessa, Delainy, Emma, Anna, Madelaine, Teaghan and Pamela – who competed in the CALTAF Classic this past weekend. Among them, these athletes achieved some outstanding results. Here are the highlights:
· JD athletes captured 34 medals: 7 gold (Daniel in the hammer throw, Sarah in the 4x100m,Allison in the 300m and 4x100m, Jasmine in the 4x100m, Chase in the 800m and Janessain high jump), 15 silver (Bryce in the 200m hurdles, 4x100m and 4x400m, Tynan in the triple jump and senior 4x400m, Chase in the 80m hurdles, Ben in the stamina triathlon, Nicole in the shot put, Amy in the 4x400m, Daniel in the 4x100m, John in the 4x400m, Steven in the 4x100m, Austin in the 4x100m, Jasmine in the 4x400m and Janessa in the 4x400m) and 12 bronze (Chase in the midget 2000m and bantam long jump, Bryce in the 100m hurdles, Amyin the high jump, Rebecca in the discus, Teaghan in the shot put, Thomas Wood in the 4x400m, Charlie in the 4x400m, Tynan in the javelin throw, Alex in the 80m hurdles, Max in the 4x400m and Patrick in the 4x400m). Congratulations medalists!
· Almost all athletes achieved a personal best in at least one of their events, and many achieved personal best performances in several of their events.
Matthew Springer, Eric, Max, Patrick, Ben, Sean and Janessa led the way by recording a personal best in all of the events that they had competed in previously. Janessa took over 10 seconds off her PB in the bantam 800m to finish in 2:42.56s and place 5th of 15 athletes.Janessa also added another 5cm to her PB in the bantam high jump, clearing 1.40m to finish 1st of 22 athletes and capture the gold medal. Max took almost half a second off his PB in the 80m, just shy of a second off his PB in the 150m and over 7 seconds off his PB in the 800m.Max also demonstrated how much stronger he is becoming in the field events by adding 10cm to his high jump PB and 5cm to his long jump PB. Patrick took an impressive 13.34s off his PB in the 800m and added another 16cm to his PB in the long jump. Sean took an impressive 11.11s off his PB in the 800m and added another 5cm to his PB in the high jump. Eric took an outstanding 19.33s off his PB in the 800m and added an impressive 43cm to his PB in the shot put. Ben, our youngest competitor, took almost 1.5s off his PB in the 100m and added an impressive 4.50m to his PB in the ball throw. Matthew improved his time in the 100m and added another 2cm to his PB in the long jump.
Other personal best performances include:
Bantam Chase took an impressive 28.69s off her PB in the 2000m, finishing in 7:15.85s to win the bronze medal in the midget event. Chase also took more than 3 seconds off her PB in the 800m to capture the gold medal in the bantam event. Chase also recorded personal best performances in the 80m hurdles and 150m. First-year midget Austin added 1.20m to his PB in the javelin and another 2.36m to his PB in the discus. Austin also ran a PB in the 100m hurdles. Amy took an impressive 12.20s off her PB in the 800m to finish 8th. Sarah ran a personal best time of 13.57m in the 80m hurdles to finish 5th and a personal best time of 27.70s in the 200m final to finish 6th. First-year midget Allison finished the 300m in a personal best time of 43.54s to win the gold medal. First-year midget Melissa took an astonishing 24.04s off her recently-established PB in the 1200m to finish 4th in a time of 4:04.57s. Danieladded another 4.21m to his PB in the hammer throw to capture the gold medal. Delainy took almost half a second off her time in the 150m and added another 20cm to her PB in the long jump. Emma ran a PB in the 80m, took almost a second off her time in the 150m and added another 38cm to her PB in the long jump. Jasmine took more than 2 seconds off her PB in the 800m. Thomas took 1.45s off his PB in the 200m. John took a second off his recently-established PB in the 800m, finishing 4th of 14 athletes in a time of 2:13.76s. Tynan added another 9cm to his PB in the long jump. Chanelle took almost a full second off her PB in the 300m. Anna added another 4cm to her PB in the long jump. Madelaine added another 5cm to her PB in the high jump and ran a PB in the 80m. Melanie took more than half a second off her PB in the 200m. Rebecca added another 4cm to her PB in the long jump, where she finished 5th of 14 athletes with a jump of 4.37m.
· Our relay teams did very well.
Our midget women’s 4x100m team of Allison to Sarah to Kelly Ann Meeuwisse from CALTAF’s Power and Speed Group to Jasmine won the gold medal, finishing 1st of 4 teams in a time of 55.20s. The second women’s midget 4x100m relay team of bantams Emma toChase to Madelaine to Delainy ran very well against the older midget athletes and finished in 4th place. The midget men’s 4x100m team of Steven to Daniel to Austin to Bryce finished 2nd to a strong team from the Calgary Warriors. The midget men’s 4x400m team of Chris Fitzgibbon, from CALTAF’s Middle/Long Distance Group, to John to Sean Foster, also from the Distance Group, to Bryce won the silver medal, finishing 2nd in a time of 4:09.93s. The midget women’s 4x400m team of Adrianne Erdman, from CALTAF’s Distance Group, toJanessa to Amy to Jasmine finished 2nd to a strong team from Leduc. In that same event, our (3) bantam/ (1)midget athletes of Charlie to Thomas W to Patrick to Max received a huge round of applause for a strong showing amongst the older midget and senior athletes.Tynan ran on a senior 4x400m relay with CALTAF athletes Isaac and Alex Rynn and Steven Clark, and they captured the silver medal.
· We had several athletes who won multiple medals:
Allison – 2 gold
Chase – 1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze
Jasmine – 1 gold, 1 silver
Janessa – 1 gold, 1 silver
Daniel – 1 gold, 1 silver
Bryce – 3 silver, 1 bronze
Tynan – 2 silver, 1 bronze
Amy – 1 silver, 1 bronze
· First-year midget Austin finished just out the medals in three events. Austin was 4th in the 100m hurdles, 4th in the high jump and 4th in the javelin.
· In his first attempt at the triple jump and javelin throw, Tynan captured the silver and bronze medals. In her first meet, first-year bantam and sister Teaghan captured the bronze medal in the shot put with a throw of 6.51m.
· First-year bantam Madelaine continues to lead the youngest JD athletes with her willingness to try all of the events offered. At this meet, Madelaine competed in the sprints, sprint hurdles, long jump, high jump, shot put and even the midget discus.
· JD’s newest athletes – Antha, Teaghan, Tynan, Matthew Springer, Eric, Sean – competed extremely well and looked remarkably relaxed out on the track.
· Ben finished 2nd in all three of his events (100m, 800m, ball throw) to capture the silver medal in the peewee boys’ stamina triathlon.
· The Team Alberta athletes, who will represent the JD Group and Alberta at the Western Canadian Midget Championships in July – Bryce, Austin, John, Daniel, Sarah, Nicole,Allison, Jasmine, Melissa – impressed the Team Alberta coaches, who were in attendance at the meet. All of the coaches are looking forward to watching you compete in Medicine Hat, and all are optimistic that Team Alberta will do very well against the teams from Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.